MSD Manual

Please confirm that you are a health care professional

honeypot link
Where to Get Help

Where to Get Help

Owners seeking help for a behavior problem with their horse can turn to several sources. The American Veterinary Medical Association recognizes a variety of specialties within veterinary medicine. Similar to specialties in human medicine, these include veterinarians who are board-certified in surgery, internal medicine, ophthalmology (eye care), dentistry, behavior, and many other areas of expertise. Most board-certified veterinary behaviorists work in veterinary colleges or private referral practices. To find a veterinary behaviorist that specializes in horses, please see the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior's Find a Consultant tool.

There are also veterinarians who are not board-certified, but who have a special interest in behavior. These veterinarians have a range of experience and expertise in the field, and many offer behavior consultations as a part of their regular veterinary practice.

There are also non-veterinarians who call themselves behaviorists and offer counseling on behavior problems of horses. Some have a doctoral or master’s degree in psychology or a related field, and some have earned a certification. Others, primarily horse trainers, have no formal education in behavior but offer advice on solving behavior problems. Owners who need help for their horse should ask about the background and training of the person offering the behavior consultation before setting up an appointment. Because many behavior problems in horses can be influenced by medical conditions, veterinarians are the professionals who can offer the most comprehensive care.