MSD Manual

Please confirm that you are a health care professional

honeypot link
Pet Owner Version

Lightning Strike and Electrocution


Eugene D. Janzen

, DVM, Department of Production Animal Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Calgary

Reviewed/Revised Jan 2021 | Modified Nov 2022

Injury or death of a pet due to high-voltage electrical currents may be the result of lightning, fallen transmission wires, faulty electrical circuits, or chewing on an electrical cord. Lightning strike is seasonal and happens in areas where thunderstorms occur. Investigation of possible electrocution should always proceed with caution because the source of electricity may still be present.

Certain types of trees, especially hardwoods such as oaks and those that are tall and have spreading root systems just beneath the ground surface, tend to be struck by lightning more often than others. Electrification of such roots charges a wide surface area, particularly when the ground is already damp; passage of charged roots beneath a shallow pool of water causes it to become electrified. Fallen or sagging transmission wires also may electrify a pool of water, fence, or building, and an animal may also directly contact such wires.

Varying degrees of electric shock may occur. In most instances of lightning strike, death is instantaneous and the animal falls without a struggle. Occasionally, the animal becomes unconscious but may recover in a few minutes to several hours; residual nervous system signs (including depression, paraplegia, and increased skin sensitivity to otherwise painless stimuli) may persist for days or weeks or be permanent. Death from electric shock usually results from cardiac or respiratory arrest. Young dogs or cats with unexplained labored breathing should be checked for oral burns; chewing on electrical cords can cause these burns and also lead to fluid in the lungs.

Lightning strike and electrocution should be considered true emergencies in which your veterinarian should be contacted right away. Even if the effect of electrocution appears mild (as in a pet chewing on an electrical cord), signs of shock or other complications may occur later. Animals that survive may require supportive and symptomatic treatment.

For More Information

quiz link

Test your knowledge

Take a Quiz!