MSD Manual

Please confirm that you are a health care professional

honeypot link

Phosphine Gas Sources as Veterinary Workplace Hazards


Rhian B. Cope

, BVSC, BSc (Hons), PhD, DABT, DABVT, FACTRA, Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority

Last full review/revision Mar 2021 | Content last modified Mar 2021

Phosphide salts (commonly zinc and aluminum) release phosphine gas in the presence of acids and have been extensively used as vertebrate pesticides. Veterinarians are most commonly exposed to phosphine via inhalation when attempting to decontaminate and treat animals that have been poisoned with zinc Zinc Phosphide Zinc phosphide is a component in a number of mole, gopher, ground squirrel, and vole baits intended for outdoor use only. It is a dark gray powder, not soluble in water, and is commonly sold... read more or aluminum phosphide rodenticides or during necropsy/sample collection procedures on animals that died from these poisonings. Phosphine gas is also used as a fumigant for grain and other agricultural products.

Phosphine is a colorless, flammable, and explosive gas. Technical grade phosphine (the type most commonly encountered by veterinarians) has an unpleasant, garlic-like, rotting fish-like smell, due to the presence of substituted phosphine and diphosphane. The human odor threshold for phosphine is below relevant exposure limits; the implication is that persons who can smell phosphine are being exposed to a hazardous level.

Phosphine is described as a “general protoplasmic poison,” and it is extremely and acutely toxic after inhalation. Acute inhalation exposure to phosphine can result in respiratory, neurologic, and GI effects. Signs and symptoms may include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, burning substernal pain, nausea, vomiting, GI distress, cough with fluorescent green sputum, labored breathing, chest tightness, pulmonary irritation, pulmonary edema, tremors, and convulsions (which may occur after apparent recovery). Skin contact with phosphides may result in numbness and paresthesia. Chronic occupational exposure effects include upper respiratory tract inflammation, weakness, dizziness, nausea, jaundice, liver effects, increased bone density, and symptoms referable to the GI, cardiorespiratory, and central nervous systems.

Veterinarians are very strongly encouraged to use respiratory and eye protection when dealing with patients poisoned by zinc or aluminum phosphide; emergency room staff casualties have occurred during treatment of human patients poisoned with these agents.

There is no antidote for phosphine poisoning, and emergency treatment requires specialist care.

Others also read
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Test your knowledge
Ethylene Glycol Toxicity
All animals are susceptible to poisoning by ethylene glycol, but due to its wide availability and common presence in homes, dogs and cats are most often accidently poisoned. Which of the following common household solvents is the source of ethylene glycol toxicity for companion animals?
Become a Pro at using our website 

Also of Interest

Become a Pro at using our website